Saturday, January 21, 2012

My mom's story

 
Many of you know from my facebook posts that my has been diagnosed with breast cancer. For the longest time I didn't post anything on facebook or on this blog because I didn't want to share something so personal. Plus, the blog is about my family and I thought that it was inappropriate to share. But, honestly that just isn't the case. I cannot pretend it isn't a huge part of my life right now. We are a family and this is affecting us. Dan and I more so than the kids but it has affected us and will continue to do so. Since November 4th, waiting for news from the Drs appointments, scheduling surgeries, and frequent visits to NC to be with my family have been a large part of our life. Going back to work helped keep me from worrying too much because when you are super busy with a full time job and two kids its hard to stop and worry too much. I am the anti-worrier of the family though anyway. I just know everything will be ok so why worry about it? My Grama Bliss always told us that everything happens for a reason and everything always worked out the way it is supposed to. So, I am going to go with that.

After her double mastectomy and lymph node removal, we thought we were on the road to healing before chemo. Nope...more bad news. The right side was taken for preventative measures (she carries the cancer gene) but it turns out that side also had the beginnings of cancer that did not show up on the scans. That meant more surgery to remove the right side lymph nodes which are located in your chest and arm. She already has limited mobility in her left arm due to the pain of the removal of the lymph nodes so it was a tough decision to go back and do the right side as well. She opted to be cancer free and not have the chance of it returning looming over her head. We all agreed was the best plan. In a couple of weeks she'll begin a 24 week of chemo-therapy. She has been told she will lose her hair so has prepared with her wig already. After chemo will be radiation and several more surgeries.
No one really likes to see their parents in pain and, as a mom myself, I know it is hard for my mom to show emotions like in front of me because she wants to keep me sheltered from seeing her that way. It is hard to hear your mom crying on the phone, in person, or especially in a picture that captures that moment forever. I am glad Jenn did the photo shoot of the pics you'll see below. I know it has given us all that push to fight this even more so than we had before. Jenn is a very talented photographer and right now my mom's biggest support aside from my dad. I am glad the pictures turned out so well and so many responded with such love and support. I know every time I see them I remember that mom is a fighter and in a year or two we'll all look back on this and think about how tough mom is and how strong she was.

I've made the tough decision to go through genetic testing to find out if I am also positive for the cancer gene. I just couldn't go without knowing my status. If I am positive I'll have an 80% chance of getting breast or ovarian cancer by the age of 70. In a week or so I'll know my fate. Will I be at an increased risk for cancer or will I be safe? I am in a totally different place in my life though than my mom was when she found out she carries the gene because I know there are things I can do to prevent this from happening tome if it turns out that I am positive. The preventative measures may seem drastic to some, but I don't want to be in the same position that my mom is in, ever. I'll fight this before it even starts.




Thanks again to everyone for their prayers and support. It means a lot to my whole family to have so many thinking and praying for us. I know we'll all get through this.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am not always good at finding the appropriate words..........but at the same time saying nothing does not let you know I care. I remember when your mom was pregnant with you. Your mom and I went to school together, K-12, we spend countless hours together and then lost touch with busy lives and distance. Facebook has brought us back in touch for which I am grateful. You girls are beautiful and your children are darling. I am thinking of you all and praying for peace and healing. God be with you all. Darleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. I know my mom appreciates having your support and is happy that you have re-connected on FB. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers for her.

      Delete